Friday 31 December 2010

Hanson training schedules

Recent weeks have been difficult to say the least and most of my runs until very recently have been a minutes per mile slower than usual. While it was very beautiful at times, especially in the Phoenix park, I was glad of the thaw when it came.
The uncertainty concerning both my employment prospects and residency have rendered it very difficult to commit to any spring marathon. Consequently there might be no marathon this spring.
However, while this undermines motivation I remain determined to build on the progress achieved in 2010. Recently I stumbled upon a training approach outlined in a recent edition of Runner's World that I think largely reflects my approach to marathon training throughout last summer and autumn. More information is available from the January 2011 edition of Runner's World. The schedule on the final page does look rather short on miles but it does not include warm up and warm down miles during marathon paced workouts and interval sessions. It's primary premise is that too much emphasis is ascribed to the long slow run. I think that while the emphasis on the long run is sometimes too much I would be reticent to embark on a programme with that many short 'long' runs. Perhaps any adaption/adoption of this plan would be practicable provided there was an incorporation of more sixteen mile runs? I was somewhat reassured that the runner profiled averaged sixty-five to seventy miles per week. Adopting a definitive schedule would allow me to reincorporate 'periodisation' into my training and provide a framework to sour my training.

2 comments:

Grellan said...

Interesting article Westley. The schedule certainly looks manageable. I'll be following your progress with interest. Happy new year.

bricey said...

Many happy returns. Hopefully the snow will stay away long enough to put your schedule into practice. Good luck! Brendan