Friday 29 January 2010

A new departure?

The last couple of weeks since my return from Malaysia have gone well. I am back up to sixty plus miles a week. However, I need to do something about strengthening my quadriceps and hamstrings. This is crucial if I am to handle the hills of Boston. My quads will be especially susceptible to damage and fatigue on the downhill sections. My hamstrings are prone to cramping in the last 10km of marathon, which I am sure is a consequence of muscle inflexibility and weakness rather than electrolyte imbalances.
In addition to helping deal with the hills, cramps and potential for injury, I am hoping the strength training and stretching will make me faster by respectively increasing the muscles' force generation and stride length. I have made a decent start to doing this in the last week. Eleven weeks to Boston should be enough time to see not inconsiderable progress if I am consistent.

Mileage w/c 18 January:65 (New weekly high)
Mileage w/c 11 January:15
Mileage w/c 4 January:36

2 comments:

RICK'S RUNNING said...

I think you could add some downhill intervals once a week, starting with just two efforts and increasing the number over the weeks, There is a good podcast on how to it here
http://runwitharthurlydiard.blogspot.com/2009/12/click-on-photo-for-podcast-on-downhill.html

Westley said...

Thanks for the tip Rick. I will look out for that hip flexor burn they mentioned. Should also help with getting me to pick my feet up fast, I am little complacent about that.